As a disclaimer, we admit we do like Martha Stewart. She has brilliant suggestions for organizing and making the home the epicenter of artistic life, but we know not all of you are fans of the Martha Stewart "way". Moreover, some of us have very busy lives and can't dedicate ourselves to cleaning every inch as masterfully as she might propose we should. That's why we're taking inspiration from House Logic to complete spring cleaning the imperfect way; the "anti-Martha way".
Here's how to do it:
- Don't spend the extra time and effort to scrub when a good, long soak will do the trick.
- White vinegar is the cure-all cleaner. Buy some and use it on everything.
- Where you could sweep, vacuum instead. It is a time-saver!
- Get a big basket and throw all your clutter-causing items into it. Store it in the closet until you have the time to sort through it.
- Ditch repurposing stuff you just don't like. Get rid of it! Donate clothing, dishware and furniture that just no longer improves your quality of life.
- If you can't do a deep clean, then do a light clean and hire a professional. Have no shame about paying someone to get the results you want – they have the time to do it, and you don't!
- Don't just sort the mail or file it – start recycling it! Shred it or toss it – either way, downsize on the paper clutter you don't need to hold onto!
- Need to remove a stain? Look up a Youtube video on how to do it. Who has time to create a stain remover chart or memorize such tricks of the trade? You sure don't!
- Make hanging your clothes on hangers and putting them in the closet your goal. If you're taking the time to organize by color and season, you're officially an over-achiever.
- Hose down the patio or deck – it's way quicker than sweeping.
- Call your friends up and offer them beer and snacks in exchange for their help in house repairs or cleaning.
- Make cleaning a raucous, fun experience. Blast your favorite tunes, dance with the broom handle, and act like a kid while you wipe away winter's grime.
What else would you add to this list? We want to hear what your anti-Martha strategies are! With only 24 hours in a day, we can't all be the cleaning perfectionists we might wish we could be. So what! Clean smarter, not harder, and you'll see the fruits of your labor sooner.